Fermented milks around the World : Lassi
Lassi, a creamy, frothy fermented milk drink, blended with water and various fruits or seasonings and always served chilled:
- Either sweet or salted
- Dilution with aromatic water boosts its thirst-quenching ability
- Sometimes consumed to help relieve the burning sensation of spicy foods
Lassi or Dahi?
Lassi is also called stirred dahi. Dahi is a semi-solid (set) curd, usually served plain and unsweetened. It forms the base for a number of other fermented dairies such as lassi, chhach or shrikhand.
A indian origin and a worlwide success
Fermented dairy products have a special place in Indian diet: Products such as Dahi, Lassi, Shrikhand, Chhach are consumed throughout the country on regular basis.
Lassi is becoming popular worldwide
Nutrition and health benefits of Lassi
As in all fermented dairy
- Lactose level reduced by 20-30%.
- The fermentation process improves the bioavailability of fatty acids & protein (freeing peptides)
Other effects under study
- Rosewater flavored lassi is made with an extracted aromatic oil that might show stimulant and antispasmodic benefits: traditionally recommended against headaches & rheumatism
All the information about Lassi in one infography