Can yogurt be integrated in the diet of people with diabetes?
- Yogurt certainly has several nutrients that probably have effects on insulin secretion and insulin resistance.
Why is it important for the elderly population with diabetes to integrate yogurt in their daily diet?
- People consuming yogurt, independently of the fat content, have a lower risk to develop diabetes. This observation was made in older population at high cardio-vascular risk.
- Including one yogurt per day into the diet probably reduces the risk of developing diabetes.
What specific yogurt mechanisms are associated with diabetes prevention?
- The interaction between calcium and fat in the colon probably contributes to decrease body weight.
- There is the possibility of a probiotic effect and therefore changes of the gut microbiota initiated by yogurt consumption.
Have a look at the coverage of Prof. Jordi Salas-Salvadó’s presentation at the FENS 2015 on the health benefits of yogurt consumption.