Selected for you this week: a vegetarian recipe of Spinach-Basmati Soup with yogurt, by Mollie Katzen. Every week, we bring you valuable quotes from around the web on yogurt.
Ingredients (5 or 6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups minced onion (1 large)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced or crushed garlic
- ½ pound (225 g or more) fresh spinach, washed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock (page 22) or low-sodium store-bought
- 1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
- Black pepper
- Place a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat for about a minute, then add the olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- Add the onion, cumin, turmeric, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft.
- Add the garlic and another ¼ teaspoon of the salt, reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Toss in the spinach plus the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir, then cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the water or stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook over the lowest possible heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the rice and yogurt. Taste to adjust the salt and add black pepper to your liking. It’s now ready to serve.