- 1½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup prune butter
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting and Garnish
- ¾ cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ ounce dark chocolate (60% to 70% cocoa)
Prep time: 25 minutes – Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). In a medium bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, pastry flour, cocoa powder, chile powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, melted butter, yogurt, and prune butter. Stir until smooth. Whisk in the milk. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until each one is incorporated, and then add the vanilla extract. Stir the mixture until well combined. Slowly add the ingredients to the wet, folding gently until completely combined.
- Scoop a heaping ¼ cup of the batter into each cupcake liner. Gently tap the tin against the counter several times to remove any air bubbles.
- Place on the center rack in the oven and bake until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the tin from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes; then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting: Place the cream cheese, yogurt, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Frost each cooled cupcake with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese frosting. Grate the dark chocolate over the frosting to garnish. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
1 cupcake with 1 tablespoon frosting and garnish
Nutrition Information (per serving)
Calories: 153; Total Fat: 5 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Protein: 5 grams; Total Carbohydrates: 23 grams; Sugars: 11 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 42 milligrams; Sodium: 128 milligrams