Corn & Basil Cakes:
- 4 persons
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (if making in skillet, use another tbsp oil to coat the pan)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups freshly grilled corn kernels (about 2 large ears) or frozen
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped sundried tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whisk flour, milk, eggs, garlic, 1 tablespoon oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn, onions, sundried tomatoes, and basil.
- Heat grill to about 400 degrees. Coat a large piece of aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray and set on grill grates to heat up. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, spoon the batter onto the foil and cook until the edges are dry and the middle starts to bubble, about 2 to 3 minutes. Make as many cakes at a time as fit on the foil with each at least 2-inches apart. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter, making 12 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
- Serving size: 3 cakes per person
- In a small mixing bowl, or in the yogurt container, combine the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper. Serve with the Corn & Basil Cakes.
To make the grilled corn, wrap corn with aluminum foil and grill, turning occasionally, until corn kernels begin to brown on all sides. To cut kernels, wait for corn to cool. Stand ears of corn on one end and slice kernels off with a sharp knife.