Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 1 1/2 pounds (710 g) carrots
- 1 15-ounce (33 g) can white pea beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely minced parsley
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon light honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Up to 1/3 cup water (optional)
- Peel or scrub the carrots, and cut them into thin, flat matchstick pieces about 1 1/2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. Steam until just tender (5 to 10 minutes), then refresh them under cold running water, and drain well.
- Transfer the carrots to a medium-large bowl, and add the beans, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cumin, and pepper. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least several hours (and up to several days).
- Stir in the parsley, scallions, and dill within about 30 minutes of serving time. Serve cold or at room temperature, topped with a healthy dollop of Yogurt-Sesame Sauce.
- Whirl the seeds in a blender or electric spice grinder for about 15 to 20 seconds, or until ground to a fine meal. (Don’t let it turn into a paste.) Transfer to a medium-small bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the water, and mix until well combined. Thin with water to desired consistency. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.