Selected for you this week: a recipe low in saturated fat of Chicken curry and vegetables, by Joy Bauer. Every week, we bring you valuable quotes from around the web on yogurt.
Ingredients (4 serves)
- 1.5 pounds skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 fifteen-ounce can no-salt-added garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 fifteen-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (garnish)
- Season the chicken with salt. In a large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, until the chicken begins to brown.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until beginning it begins to soften and become translucent.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, ginger, and curry powder and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, chickpeas, and diced tomatoes (plus liquid). Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
- Uncover and, return the chicken to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through but still tender and the liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the yogurt.
- Season with a pinch of kosher salt if desired and garnish with optional cilantro.
- Serve immediately with brown basmati rice.